Thursday, 19 November 2009 00:00
Cinema One Originals awards night
After the success of the premiere night of the five independent film entries of the leading movie cable channel in the country, Cinema One via its Cinema One Originals project, the film festival was capped off with the Cinema One Originals Awards Night held at the ABS-CBN Dolphy Theater. Many local and foreign filmmakers and indie movie fanatics, as well as the films’ cast, crew and many other celebrities, attended the night to support the five Cinema One Originals finalists: Maximus & Minimus, Wanted: Border, Bala Bala, Paano Ko Sasabihin and Si Maymay Si Baning at ang Asong Si Bobo.
Making the night fun, light and memorable, the Cinema One Originals Awards Night was hosted by grand slam winning actor and drama prince Piolo Pascual and the new box-office star Eugene Domingo. Winning filmmakers Danny Zialcita and Cannes Film Festival director Brillante Mendoza plus blockbuster directors like Joyce Bernal and Cathy Garcia-Molina were also present in the award’s night. Heartthrob Sam Milby also rendered an intermission number to the delight of the audience.
With no particular theme this year to encourage a no-holds barred and out-of-the-box entries, the five finalists are: the sweet comedy Maximus & Minimus by directors Na Jamir and Jimmy Flores that stars Cai Cortez, Baron Geisler, Mikel Campos, Liza Lorena and Malou Crisologo; the thriller Wanted: Border by director Ray Gibraltar stars Rosanna Roces and Raffy Tejada; the mystery-fantasy Bala Bala of writer-director Melvin Brito starring Richard Quan, Glenda Resureccion, Jao Mapa and Angel Jacob; the romantic comedy Paano Ko Sasabihin starring Erich Gonzales and Enchong Dee and directed by Richard Legaspi and the children’s film Si Maymay Si Baning at ang Asong Si Bobo of writer-director Rommel Tolentino that stars Rio Locsin, Simon Ibarra and Gene Karley Largueza.
Presented by some of the country’s hottest and most in demand celebrities today, the winners are:
• Audience Choice Award: Paano Ko Sasabihin?
• Best Music: Malek Lopez and Erwin Romulo, Wanted: Border
• Best Sound: Mark Laccay, Bala-Bala
• Best Production Design: Alf Alacapa, Jeffrey Winston Lazaro And Amanda Nava, Wanted:Border
• Best Editing: Anna Isabelle Matutina, Paano Ko Sasabihin?
• Best Cinematography: Ogi Sugatan, Wanted: Border
• Best Supporting Actor: Jan Harley Hicana Rebanal for playing Paeng in Si Baning Si Maymay at ang Asong si Bobo
• Best Supporting Actress: Rio Locsin, Si Baning, Si Maymay at ang Asong si Bobo
• Best Actress: Rosanna Roces, Wanted: Border
• Best Actor: Mikel Campos, Maximus & Minimus
• Best Screenplay: Ray Defante Gibraltar, Wanted: Border
• Best Director: Ray Defante Gibraltar, Wanted: Border
• Special Mention: Paano Ko Sasabihin? written and directed by Richard Legaspi, Red Room Productions, Line Producer: Karr Cotamora
• Best Picture: Wanted: Border written and directed by Ray Defante Gibraltar, Line Producer: Ms. Chits Jimenez
This year’s jury included four-time grand slam winning actress and Star for All Seasons Vilma Santos, award-winning filmmaker Khavn de la Cruz, screenplay writer Armando Lao, ABS-CBN Creative Manger and award-winning writer Ricky Lee, and member of the Manunuri ng Pelikulang Pilipino and Dean of the College of Mass Communication in UP-Diliman Rolando Tolentino.